Thursday 14 June 2007

the evening after the morning after

So that's it then. Exams over. No more philsophy until October. What am I going to do with myself (besides find a job and create more and more blogs about blogs about blogs, duplicating and reproducing themselves until they burst the seams of the blogosphere.

I was talking to a friend today about intoxication. Can you be intoxicated by ideas? Some people certainly seem to get drunk on participating in mass movements. Others become addicted to the numbing security of fundamentalism, bedoming dead to the agony of uncertainty by the injection of various forms of organised religion. Charismatic leaders in-spire their followers, injecting them with endorphin-releasing mental substances. And then there's always Spinoza, accused of atheism, yet "intoxicated by God".

I can't say I've ever tried such heady mixes. And yet, there is a buzz I get whether it's sipping a bit of Strawson or downing a full-on shot of something a little stronger, Wittgenstein perhaps... but no, I shouldn't. Not when I might be cycling later on.

Here's a nice bit of writing about the 'noblest and most loveable of the great philosophers' from salon.com.

No comments: